Contour & Co.
Contour & Co. is a Toronto company, grounded upon the collaboration between graphic designer, Alexandria Gagnon and interior architect, Jordan Maddox. Offering handmade products made from locally-sourced leather, it quickly became evident that every decision the duo has taken have been carefully considered to tell a story. From the type of leather, to the singularity of their products, Ali and Jordan want to ensure that they are creating items for people who are genuinely interested in design and appreciate the process, quality, and time that goes into this art.
I initially came across Contour & Co. on Instagram (@contour_co) and was drawn to their minimalist design. Over coffee, I spoke with Ali and Jordan about the beauty of vegetable tan leather – the more you use it the more it changes and becomes your own. The essential oils from your skin seep through the leather, thus allowing every product to reflect the individual journey of its owner (see photo below).
Ali and Jordan also talked about the beauty of stone oiled black leather which is resistant to any type of scratches, allowing you to repair the leather just by sliding your fingers across the material. Every piece they create is made one a time and takes between an hour to an hour and a half to complete.
In every design process, you start by lining the contour of the object. Contour thereby stands for the mould, the umbrella upon which Ali and Jordan are hoping to continue to establish their brand (Ali hinted that designing bags may be in their future). It was honestly such a pleasure to talk with Ali and Jordan and see passion exude in their every word.
I sincerely can’t wait to see what else is in store for the pair. Please check out Contour & Co. on their website or shop their products at the following locations:
- Pixel and Bristle / Located at The Drake Underground / 1150 Queen St W, Toronto / Saturday Nov. 26th
- Wishbook Holiday Pop-Up / Located at Granville Square/ 1869 Granville St, Halifax, NS/ Nov. 28th - Dec. 18th
- The Holiday Post Market / Located at the Great Hall / 1087 Queen St W, Toronto / Sunday Dec. 4th
- Kit and Ace Holiday Market / Located at Kit and Ace / 102 Bloor St W, Toronto / Saturday & Sunday Dec. 10th-11th
- Designboom Mart / Located at The Interior Design Show / Metro Toronto Convention Centre / January 19-22, 2017